Saturday, March 16, 2013

Vintage Holo

A star before its' time... was a creation by Sally Hansen called Magical Nail Makeup (color pictured below is Blue Aura). I must have bought this back between 2001-2003. I remember buying this one and I think a pink one, which I now regret giving away to my niece. 
Believe it or not, you can still find this! this eBay auction is for purple, and she also has one listed for the pink. 
This was clearly an original now with all the China Glaze, OPIs and Color Club holos. I love this one. Below is 2 coats with an Essie 3-Way Glaze topcoat, base and strengthener. No topcoat. The formula is a bit sticky and a little goopy but that could be because it's over 10 years old! Lol. I don't really remember what the consistency of it was back then, but it does go on smooth with slow long strokes. It will get a bit clumped if there is not enough polish on the brush. 


with flash

without flash

no flash, just normal lighting

again, normal lighting no flash

just a cloudy day

Out of my own personal rating of coverage and formula quality I would give it about a 7. That being said, since I am a noobie rater on all this, the best coverage I have ever had which I would give an ultimate 10 to is a creation by China Glaze for the Hunger Games collection (Riveting). That goes on smooth, dreamy, full coverage with one stroke, and looks exactly like the bottle. A 1, would be this polish that I bought online by Essie, which I mentioned in my previous post, called 'Butler, Please.' It is clumpy, thick, gooooopy and needs more than two coats. Then it doesn't even dry hard, you still have that mush because it's just so thick. Hope that helps if you have ever used either of those polishes before. Oh, I also notice that a lot of the Sally Hansen Extreme Wear are quite clumpy and need a couple coats and don't appear like the bottle. Also pretty gooopy (not as many ooooo's but still enough). I would rate those formulas at a 4. 

7 comments:

  1. thanks for following my blog & for your comment! i am now following you back, welcome to the blogging world! you are definately not alone, there are tons of polish/nail art addicts out here, lol, look forward to seeing more posts by you! ...and you just reminded me, i need to get me some holo polish!!! lol : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. search on ebay or etsy for some good prices. also-- i bought a bunch of color clubs on here for only $2.95 a bottle! (...you had to spend a minimum of $25 though... which soooo was not hard :))

      found them here:
      http://princessnailsupply.com/Default.aspx

      Delete
  2. What a lovely polish! Lucky you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you!! this stuff reminds me of the color clubs that are out now, and a shade darker than the Sapphire from the DS OPI series. Luckily it is still sort of available and cheap! I totally regret giving my shade of pink away to my niece after rediscovering what is prolly one of the very first holos ever. Bummer. I hope she appreciates it as much as I do!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, you're not alone, there are a lot of polish/nail art addicted in the blogging world :)
    This polish is gorgeous! lucky you! :)

    ReplyDelete